Wednesday, December 3, 2008

New beginnings in old Middle Kingdom (China)


Well...... Where to start...


I will start back in my first few weeks in China...

It was during the trip my roommate and I took to Lanzhou, China...

On our way back we had to take a seated train (as opposed to the more preferable sleeper train), so we were a bit cramped. It wasn't too bad because we met two sisters from the Tibetan Plateau. Jim was tired, so he went to sleep while I stayed up all night playing cards and joking around with them. Since this was my first trip in China, I wasn't very anxious to meet any long-term girlfriend types, just some friends. Well, when it was time to leave the train, one of the sisters gave me her business card (many people carry business cards in China. it doesn't matter what you do, you still have them to give to someone on short notice.). I was cautious, as I have talked with many of you about, there are many scams Chinese ladies use to either get money, or US citizenship. I wasn't really into making any sudden plans or anything. Just maybe a pen pal, or something....

I wrote one of the sisters, 王桂燕 (Wang Guiyan), a few times and she wrote back. We were friendly, and sparked interests, but I was still unsure about my situation back home (the recent divorce stuff). It wasn't until I received STRONG confirmation a few weeks later, that my old relationship was over and time to move on, that I contacted Wang Guiyan (sounds like Wong Gwayyan) with a more interested heart. It was then that I found a very interesting girl that I wanted to know much more about.

For the next month we wrote often, but I wanted more. She lives 22 hours away by train, so I couldn't see her in person (we video chatted often, and recently just about every day for many hours), so I set up a trip to see her in 格尔木 (Golmud, Qinghai, China). Leading up to the trip, Wang Guiyan and I began to communicate even more frequently, sometimes 5-6 hours in a day! It was obvious that this trip was going to be about discovery of any chance of a long-tern type relationship, instead of some friendly trip.

The ticket buying and travel to see Wang Guiyan wasn't very easy, to say the least. You see, Wang Guiyan is a Tibetan, and she lives in a "Tibetan" city out of the province of Tibet. In order to go to Tibet as a foreigner, you are required to fill out plenty of paperwork, submit for special papers, and finally, pay more for entrance than a Chinese national. When there, you aren't allowed to go anywhere either. You can only go where allowed. OK... Why does that effect me? I'm not going to Tibet here. well, Geermu is the main last stop to Tibet. Many foreigners go to Geermu to get special privileges to go into Tibet and Lhasa. Geermu is a city without a large tourist pull. The government has a hard time believing a person actually WANTS to stay there, without going to Tibet. So, I have to follow all of the regulations as if I was going to Tibet... or so they say... I had a Chinese friend buy my ticket after I was refused a ticket without the paperwork for Tibet. I spoke with many people and they assured me that I would be OK.

The morning came to head off to Geermu to see Wang Guiyan, and nerves were running through me like crazy! I was nervous that I wasn't going to be allowed on the train, or that Wang Guiyan would end up trying to scam me, or that we would ACTUALLY like each other.

I arrive at the train station to find that they have a special section for those going to "Tibet" and that since the train I was going on was going to Tibet, I was required to use that section. Well, getting into that section they asked me for, you guessed it, my special papers. I showed them my passport and my temporary residency paperwork. They still seemed very "confused" as to why I was going to Geermu, and not to Tibet. I showed them a picture (the one above) of Wang Guiyan, hoping they would understand. They took about 7-8 minutes deciding to let me in... WHEEWW... I was on the train before I knew it!

Upon my arrival (finally), I was very excited. How would we react to each other? I understand the culture is very different than what I am used to, but What would happen over the next week?

My fears were quickly conquered... The Geermu railway station isn't very big, or busy, so I simply walked off of the train and a few steps later was at the parking lot. As Wang Guiyan got out of her brothers car, I realized, WOW... This is Wang Guiyan, and she is beautiful! As I walked up to her, I knew I wanted to give her a hug... and a kiss... but I was unsure of what would be culturally acceptable. We hugged, and gave each other a sweet little kiss. It was a perfect beginning. Then I tried to get into the car and the seat was pushed too far forward and wouldn't move. So I sat in the back... he he We then spent the next hour with her sister (the same sister I met on the train) trying to find a decent hotel. We actually found the best hotel on the same block as her brother. I stayed there for a while and slept for an hour or so, then freshened up and got ready to see the town with Wang Guiyan!



We then went to her sisters store (yes, her sister "owns" the store!) to help her for the morning, and to babysit Jinwei (Wang Guiyan's nephew. He is a good kid that really loves Wang Guiyan!). We were there and around Geermu for the rest of the day, just getting me used to the city a bit. Talking the whole way... Or at least trying to communicate. You see, even though we have been communicating for a few months, it was with the use of language translation programs. We can have basic conversations in English, less basic conversations in Chinese, but even with that limitation, we could understand each other fairly well. This will need to improve.

Then, the party started...
At around 6pm, we went to a birthday party for her sister. Yeah... Party is the right word. I am not sure if I have ever seen so much food for 25 people in my life! Some of it was crazy (Chicken feet, skin, other things I have no idea about) and some of it was very good! Everyone was drinking and smoking (except me, of course), even Wang Guiyan... hmmm... Interesting. I suppose that since I have made some changes recently, this wouldn't be too crazy. In China most many people offer cigarettes to say hello to new people they meet. It wasn't that crazy.






So, Dinner was great, but you go to KTV to party!



We weren't finished!! We then went to the disco!! The place was crazy! The dance floor was on springs, or something, and bounced to the dancing. The DJ called me up to the front (of course) and had me and my group dance for everyone else! It was wild to watch others copy the lameness that were my moves!! What a night!!




We went to the mountains and a point that is higher than just about the entire US! We were about 4500 meters above sea level. I could feel a huge difference and I was coughing a bit. We stopped at Kunlun Springs. a natural spring that is considered sacred to the locals. The water is supposed to have a very good flavor. I didn't try it, it was SUPER cold!!It was beautiful though!




No comments: